Hi, I'm Sue and I'm your candidate for Division 10 in the Sunshine Coast Council Election 2020, on the traditional lands of the Kubi Kubi and Jinibara.
Like most locals, I feel shut out of local government decisions, and I am fed up with seeing the impact of poor development. Our community needs to be heard and our voices respected.
I’m standing this election to bring transparency trust and integrity back to our Council. As your Division 10 representative in Council, I’ll stand up for people, not profit. I’ll give locals a real say in decisions and how we plan for the future; a future with increasing densification and the impacts of climate change. I’ll ensure our community is active, sustainable and connected.
The Sunshine Coast Hinterland has been my home for over 37 years, and where I raised my daughter and son. I currently reside on rural acreage with my extended family and a menagerie of birds and animals.
I am a small business owner (I part own and help run both a Building Company and an Aviation Theory School), and have extensive experience in banking, finance and business management, along with committee and finance roles in community and not-for-profit organisations.
As your Councillor, I will:
- Support community driven change and a more democratic and transparent Council.
- Immediately commence live video streaming of Council meetings.
- Ensure town planning protects our lifestyle and biodiversity.
- Transfer the power away from developers and back to the community.
- Improve community well-being and connectivity through more green space; accessible active, community, and public transport and provide resources and support for affordable housing.
- Ensure residents and industry can access clean energy and utilise low/zero emission technology as we transition to a post carbon economy.
- Protect the natural environment, including water quality and agricultural land for food security.
- Strengthen recycling initiatives and phase out single use plastic containers.
- Support new and existing businesses to grow and thrive.
- Improve the Coast’s capacity to care for injured, rare and threatened wildlife.
- Take action on climate change – supporting and encouraging the Sunshine Coast Council to declare a Climate Emergency.
It’s time for change, and for new people who interact differently. I believe that my experience as a small business owner, as well as an active member of the community has given me the experience, knowledge and ability to make a real difference in the Sunshine Coast Council.
Will you support me?
- Diploma of Accounting
- Certificate in Financial Planning
- Junior Certificate - High Distinction – Advanced Math, Science
Misuda Pty Ltd Part Owner/ Business and Accounts Manager 01/09/19 to Present
Sunshine Custom Sheds Pty Ltd Part Owner/ Business and Accounts Manager 01/07/16 to Present
Advanced Flight Theory Pty Ltd Part Owner/ Business and Accounts Manager 01/09/93 to Present
Commonwealth Bank of Australia Bank Officer 8/2/77 to 1/12/99
* Commenced employment as Postage Clerk Toowoomba Qld
* Left employment as Assistant Manager/Loans Officer Buderim Qld
* (Resigned from service on own accord to take up full time position with Advanced Flight Theory Pty Ltd)
- State Treasurer/Management Committee – Queensland Greens 09/12/17 to date
- Treasurer – Sunshine Coast Climate Action Now 01/05/16 to date
- Trustee/Treasurer – Environmental Legacy Foundation 01/09/14 to date
- Executive Committee/Treasurer – Sunshine Coast Environment Council (standing aside from 22/02/2020) 01/04/12 to date
- Treasurer – Sunshine Coast (Maroochy) Greens 01/10/09 - 10/11/18
- Student Banking Coordinator – Sunshine Coast Grammar School 01/04/98 – 31/12/13
- President/Treasurer – Buderim Guides Support Group 01/03/00 – 31/12/11
- Supervisor – Maroochydore/Buderim Blue Light Disco 01/01/02 – 31/12/09